If you are aiming for great results and keep working hard, you should keep a close eye out for burnout. It is a state of chronic stress, and it can lead to physical and emotional exhaustion and feeling of lack of accomplishment.
Protecting yourself before a burnout happens is much more effective to deal with it when it happens. That’s why it is important to recognize the signs of burnout and look after yourself.
There are several signs that might mean you are suffering from burnout. The difference between burnout and stress is a matter of degree of these signs.
- Chronic tiredness – If you feel tired all the time, it can be a sign of burnout. In a more serious case, you might even feel exhausted and emotionally drained for no apparent reason.
- Sleeping problems – It might be difficult to fall asleep a few times a week even if you feel tired.
- Memory and concentration problems – Burnout can decrease our cognitive functions. It can decrease our productivity slowly and steadily.
- Negative feelings – You might experience negative feelings like anxiety, depression, and anger. If the burnout is not treated, you might need to seek professional help in this case.
- Health complaints – When you are stressed, your immune system is weakened, which makes you more susceptible to illnesses and other stress-related symptoms like headaches, chest pains, stomach problems etc. If you experience health problems, you should visit your doctor.
- Problems with others – Because of burnout, you might be more irritable and have more disagreements with others. You might also feel misunderstood and lonely.
- Poor self-care – You might experience a loss of appetite and forget to work out and take care for your appearance.
Steps to Avoid Burnout
If you are experiencing any of the problems mentioned above, it could be a sign of some stress or even burnout. If that’s the case, you should deal with these problems as soon as possible. Here are a few steps that can help with dealing with burnout.
- Say “no” when possible – Don’t take on more tasks than you have to. It’s important to have some time to let ou body to recover.
- Meditate – Take 5-10 minutes every day to sit back and meditate. It will calm your mind and make you feel more relaxed.
- Take care of yourself – Eat healthily and work out or go for a run regularly.
- Live your values – Live according to your values and do things that you enjoy doing.
- Don’t try to be perfect – Perfectionism can cause a lot of stress. Often being “good enough” is better for you than being “perfect”.
Have you had any experiences with burnout or too much stress? How do you deal with it? Let me know in the comments below! 🙂
Join my Mailing List to Receive Updates